Monday, January 10, 2011

the twentyten recap

The year that was 2010:

In January I took off for Central America for the first time. I was gone for a month and had an incredible and life changing experience. (see the beginning of this site to see what I mean). I returned determined to get out of debt and to get out of the country and to go do something "good". I figured my "exodus" couldn't begin for at least another year. I returned to Portland in February, and immediately was presented with another opportunity to head south again; except this time as an interpreter. Things worked out marvelously - by March it was looking like I'd be going to interpret in Costa Rica in August. In April my contract was set, and my tickets were purchased in May. I turned 27, experienced Sasquatch Music Festival with my brother and some great friends, and in general worked my ass off to save money and pay down debts. In June, my student loan was paid off. I decided that before my departure in August, I would move everything back to Colorado. My friends are too nomadic and unsettled to leave all of my belongings with them for 6 months-2 years. I hosted some rad couchsurfers, watched a lot of soccer, and moved out of the great house I was living in. My mom came to visit for her birthday, an we had more fun than i could have imagined we did shots on a bridge while waiting to see the thousands of naked bike riders go past us. We ate great food. And most importantly, I was able to show her my life -- my friends, my house, my favorite places to eat, what i like to do, places i work. That was huge for me.

For the month of July I worked at the summer camp and lived in a tent by a river on Mt. Hood. My weekends were split between camping out and beginning to say goodbye to Portland...and saying goodbye to Portland was much harder than I ever imagined it would be. In leaving I realized how much I really love it there. How much it has truly become my home. The beginning of August I made a whirlwind trip up to Vancouver, BC and Seattle. After goodbyes up there, it was time for goodbyes in P-town. The string of goodbyes was drawn out, and too much for me to handle. By the time departure day arrived, I couldn't eat or sleep. But, Katie and I made the trek to Idaho, spent a day with my good friend Eric and we floated the Boise river. It was a much welcomed break before the craziness of departing began. We arrived in Colorado late at night to my mom who was crying while hugging me and whispering in my ear, welcome home. The next 6 days were the craziest ever. I had to catch up with friends, accomplish a list of to-do's two pages long, show my friend around Denver, see my family, and get packed for a trip that would be at least three months long, but most likely a whole lot longer. I did what I could do, and left at midnight on Aug 11th. 4 days later I began a two and a half week interpreting assignment that was much more challenging than I could have ever imagined. It challenged my language skills, my role as an interpreter, my mental capacity, my patience and my stamina. I emerged exhausted but accomplished. In September I took two weeks of Spanish in a quaint mountain town outside of San Jose and spent the rest of my time getting to know the local Deaf organization for what has turned into a sweet job opportunity. The rain and cold got to me - I decided it was time to get out of Costa Rica and get myself to Colombia via Panama. I originally thought I would stay in Panama for two weeks. So I crossed the border in early October and went out to sunny, warm, and friendly Bocas del Toro. It was much more than I expected. I soon made friends with locals, enrolled in a scuba course, and spent my days on the beach and my nights out dancing. I fell in love with the place. It is so disconnected from the rest of the world.

My two weeks in Panama became three weeks in Bocas alone. I yanked myself out of there (it took three attempts for me to actually leave), and came to Panama City. I played in an Ultimate Frisbee tournament over Halloween weekend and realized that I was going to be here for a while - it was time to buy a cell phone. In November I spent more than enough time in the city, but I met a lot of great people, learned of some job opportunities, and hit up some of the pacific-side beaches. I didn't end up taking any of those jobs. After Thanksgiving, I went to Boquete, a pretty mountain town that was semi enroute back to Bocas. Two months after going to Bocas for the first time, I was back. By the time December hit, and I was back on the island, I was burned out of the travel game. The faked new friendships, the same questions, the lack of local experiences. I decided I would stay in Bocas for the holidays and look for a job. I arrived on a Friday; on Sunday I had a job bartending in a spot right on the Caribbean. That changed everything! I unpacked my WHOLE backpack for the first time since leaving in August. I was no longer annoyed with the questions about my travels because it was part of my job now! A friend once told me, everything in Bocas is easy. He was absolutely right - since I began working there, I have had 2 more job offers. Christmas was melancholy. And new year's was just as crazy as I expected it to be on the party island - absolutely insane. And that also happens to be the best way to describe this last year.

1 comment: