Thursday, June 16, 2011

A bit of ranting.

Life back in my home country is much different than I expected it to be. 

While traveling abroad, I always knew I would come back and face the realities of a country that bothers me sometimes. I dislike the amount of ignorance we, typical Americans, have. I guess we just don't know better. I've been finding myself more strongly opposed to things and ideals than I was before. The thing bothering me the most is the immigration issue. Countries all over the world have problems with immigration: Costa Rica has a problem with Nicaraguans immigrating for better work and health care. Italy is having problems because of Tunisians who have fled their government in the recent upheaval. What bothers me is how people talk about those who decide to emigrate to the US. They speak of people and their lives like they picked up a suitcase and ran across in the dead of night. And that they just want to be here, because they could "take jobs from good, hardworking Americans." In response to that idea, this article puts an interesting twist to things: http://t.co/evr11ZU . Let's talk some statistics here. Thousands of people die trying to cross the border, many from hunger or dehydration; others from drowning after trying to make it from Cuba to Florida in a handmade raft. A truck pulled over near Guatemala last week was found to have more than 200 people inside, planning to make it to the US. They were so packed in that there was only standing room, and many were found dehydrated and hungry. This isn't a trip you take for fun, you take it out of necessity. It can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $7,000 to be assisted to cross the border, and is often in terrible conditions. People get robbed along the way. Why do people do it? To escape poverty. A poverty hardly any of us have seen before. Some good videos that shine some light on the other side of what we typically see... I suggest you watch them. http://vimeo.com/11264283, http://youtu.be/gEreQTiskZQ

And I can't even start writing on my thoughts when I hear people say that "they need to learn English before coming here." I could write 8 pages on that alone. 

Its hard being here when it feels like no one gets where I just came from. People talk about those "mexicans" like they're inferior. What about my friends who are mexican or latino, are they inferior? Why is it a "good" thing that I speak Spanish now, yet a "bad" thing when someone who is brown does too? Or how about when I tell you about a guy I met, the first question you ask is if he speaks English....why does that matter? 

I expected to experience reverse culture shock during my first couple of weeks, and thought it would go away and get better after that I had the hardest time with it weeks three and four. I came back in a zen-like state of mind: I was living in the moment on a daily basis, for the better part of the last 9 months. And I was sure that I would continue to do so once back on American soil. I've really wrestled with that concept of living since returning. I live in the past, and reminisce on the good times I had. I live in the future, trying to decide what I want to do with my life now that I'm back. Living in the present has been much more challenging. But I am getting much better at it. Things are beginning to form, and I've learned to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. These are the things I do know. I know I'm going back south. Its just a matter of when that will happen....it could be October, or it could be March. I also know that I don't want to spend the winter here. So what happens in between is really all that I am left with. For now, I'm loving being in my mom's presence on a daily basis. I really cherish this time that the two of us have. The rest will just be up in the air until its supposed to come down, and I'm okay with that. It took a while, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment